Fire equipment testing is one of the most important maintenance programs which should be carried out on a regular basis. In order to make sure that all the fire equipment is in perfect working order a yearly check should be carried out by professionals. One of the most important equipment which need proper testing are fire extinguishers.
Fire extinguishers can help control a small fire or even stop one from spreading or tuning into an uncontrollable one. A small extinguisher is easy to douse a small fire and prevent the need for professional intervention.
The following are some of the ways in which a fire extinguisher is checked for safety and efficiency on your own:
- Fire extinguishers need to be checked on a monthly basis to ensure that they are in proper working order. It can be exposed to danger and damage due to the everyday incidents which take place. Carrying out monthly check therefore is a necessity.
- The first thing which you need to do is make sure that the fire extinguisher is in its designated place. The designated place is such that makes it easy to reach for the fire extinguisher when the need arises. It should be at a level which would be easy enough for anyone to reach easily.
- Make sure you check the date for the last maintenance which is usually written on the extinguisher. This would make you know when you need to call in professionals for a yearly maintenance.
- Do not forget to take a look at the pointer on the measuring gauge to note whether it is in the right position or not.
- Also check the wall hanger and bracket to note whether it is secure enough to hold the extinguisher in the right position.
- You should also lift the extinguisher and move it up and down to note whether it is filled with the right amount of chemical.
- Take a close look at the shell of the extinguisher. Check it for signs of damage and corrosion. Also take a look if you could spot any other types of impairments.
- The hose and the nozzle of the extinguisher should also be checked to see if there are any problems or obstructions which might hinder the flow of the chemical.
While a fire extinguisher isn’t something people pay a great deal of attention to but you need to ensure that it is proper working order when and if the need arises. Sometimes fire extinguishers just don’t work because the pressure gauze isn’t working or it fell down and there’s a dent in it.
Besides these monthly checks fire extinguishers also need to be tested by professionals on a yearly basis. They would ensure that the extinguishers are in working order by carrying out a series of tests.
Fire extinguishers are of different kind. Each of these are used to contain a number of fires which originate from different sources. Professional’s tests different fire extinguishers to make sure that those are in proper working order.